CommentaryA new international agreement will focus on attracting high-value Chinese visitors who stay longer, spend more and travel independently says Tourism Minister Paula Bennett.
The 2019 China-New Zealand Year of Tourism initiative was announced in March by Prime Minister Bill English during an official visit from Chinese Premier Li Keqiang.
“China is our second biggest visitor market and tourism is a driver of economic growth and cultural understanding for both our countries. The agreement has potential to add to the $1.7 billion a year Chinese visitors spend in New Zealand,” says Mrs Bennett.
“Chinese tourist numbers have increased significantly in recent years and that growth is forecast to continue. The China-New Zealand Year of Tourism offers opportunities to build new relationships and foster current ones so both countries can achieve their tourism objectives.
“Our focus now is on encouraging tourists to visit outside of the peak season and to explore our regions, as well as our most iconic destinations. With 409,000 Chinese visiting our shores last year there is an incredible amount of potential to deliver even more benefits to our national and regional economies by pursuing these goals.”
Officials will be working with the China National Tourism Administration to establish a focus for the year that reflects the priorities and interests of both countries. The 2017 China-Australia Year of Tourism was launched in February this year.
May 19, 2017